Saturday, September 1, 2012

Thursday, August 30th.

     What's for lunch Thursday, August 30th? Tacos with tater tots.

Here is a breakdown of what I ate for lunch on Thursday the 30th.  
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • 1/2 cup grapes
  • 1/2 pint 1% low-fat milk......100 calories
  • 1 cup assorted veggies
  • 1 taco bowl
  • 1/2 cup taco meat
  • 1 ounce cheese
  • 1 packet sour cream.........25 calories
     Tacos are one meal that not very many students complain about, I mean, who doesn't like tacos?  We have the choice of 2 soft shells, 2 hard shells, or one bowl.  Tacos are usually served with tater tots, but instead I opted for green peppers and sliced tomatoes.  Last year, I distinctly remember being pretty full on taco day, but this year, after my lunch I wondered why I didn't seem as full. 
     In years past, we were allowed to help ourselves to the cheese, sour cream, and other delicious toppings one puts on a taco.  This year, the cheese was portioned out, and sour cream handed to you when you paid for your meal.  You could still put your choice of vegetables on top, but it just wasn't the same.  It took me only about 10 minutes to eat, leaving me quite a bit of time to talk to my friends at my lunch table.  
     By the time I was leaving school to go to work, at 3:00, I really wondered if I had eaten lunch at all.  I got to work, and thankfully someone brought muffins to share that day.  I disappeared to the break room to eat one, and when I got off work at 6:15, I still wondered if I had eaten lunch.  To me, the portion sizes are just ridiculous.  Oh, and I almost forgot to remind you.  Lunch prices at BHS have increased $.10 from last year, making a 'USDA approved lunch' now $2.50.  And, in order for students receiving free and reduced lunch to get the discounted price, they must follow the new standards. 
     
     Below, I have links to a couple of interesting reads from the Beatrice Daily Sun regarding the new school lunches.
School lunch gets a makeover
BPS fees, lunch prices to increase

-----Recently, one of my readers suggested that I call someone from the University of Nebraska in the football program, and ask them what kind of diet the football players for the Huskers are on.  It will be quite interesting to compare their diet to that of a high school football player, so watch out in the coming weeks for a post!!!  As always, don't forget to share The School Lunches Suck! Blog with your friends on Facebook, and check back often for updates!!-----




3 comments:

  1. You can thank Mrs. Obama for your school lunch. She is the one who change all the rules. Coming from a school lunch cook!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that from many people! In fact, some students at my school have called the White House to try and speak with her about it.

      Delete
  2. I am all for some portion control on many of the high fat items and extras; however, I think the protein/main course portion should be the same as in previous years. I feel that if I am paying $2.40/day for my children to eat and they're making some cuts, at the very least allow them extra access to additional fruits & vegetables to make up for the things they're lacking. They came home hungry last year and just today my daughter came home to cook not one, but TWO single.serve. pizzas because she was so hungry. :(

    ReplyDelete